Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Change: 28

 True Confession
 (This is an ongoing story. If you want to start at the beginning, click here.)

So, not that I really expected a flash mob to magically solve all my problems, but, if I’m being really honest, in some ways I did.  I thought that maybe having a “deadline” with AE – an event for which my foot needed to be all better – would somehow make it so.

The sad fact is, I don’t need my foot to be any better than it is right now to perform a 4-minute dance on Saturday afternoon.

In fact, I’ve been rehearsing this dance 2-3 times a week for an hour at a time, and while that hour rehearsal leaves me near crippled for the rest of the night, by the next day I’m back to merely hobbling.

When we rehearse in the dance studio or at the school gym, my foot doesn’t hurt at all. I can dance for an hour and it’s just about the happiest hour of my week.  But on my driveway, doing pivots and turns on the asphalt kills me.  Still, I’m committed and will gladly suffer for my art.

(That last sentence was written facetiously, and while I’m above putting a little winky-eyed icon next to it, I’m not above stating flat out that it’s meant as a joke. Although if dancing were my art, I’m sure I’d suffer for it.)

Anyway, by the time this is posted, it will be less than 48 hours until the flash mob event and I don’t have high hopes of showing up “good as new.” How great would it be to be able to not only dance with abandon, but to then walk back to my car with a spring in my step, rather than like a lame dog?

I’m pretty sure I’ll never know.

NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment