Friday, July 16, 2010

Bathroom Renovation - Week 9

THE DEPTH OF THE CABINET ISSUE
The bathroom really looks like a bathroom now. The tile work is amazing and all the fixtures are in place. There’s still a lot to do, but you can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But I don’t see the light. All I see is the cabinet – the replacement cabinet – and all its faults.

I spent an entire blog post waxing nostalgic about my old bathroom cabinet. And how I was sure that the new cabinet would never, ever be able to live up to the perfection of that which preceded it. Well, guess what? I was right.

Although it’s not fully built yet, the new cabinet is smaller. Less accessible. And now we discover that the face of it has to be modified so the door doesn’t swing into the radiator knob every time you open it.

I’m not just heartbroken over this…I’m a sort of a raving bitch. The amount of dismay I feel about this cabinet is so inappropriate for what’s essentially a shampoo repository. I started ranting to my husband all over again this morning. He listened. And then he moved around behind me, started rubbing my shoulders.

“The cabinet is going to be fine,” he said. “The bathroom is going to be great.”

Typically, this would be the point where I begin to hiss at him, delineating all the reasons he is wrong, wrong, wrong. But today, for some reason that remains inexplicable and divine, I just quietly nodded my head. And said a small, imperceptible thank you for having someone in my life who will gently remind me that it isn’t necessary to always pay attention to what’s wrong with everything. That when you do, you are missing all the stuff that’s good and lovely and right.

No comments:

Post a Comment