Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spell Schmell

I can’t spell. Thanks to Spellcheck, I don’t even try anymore. My friend sent me a link to a spelling test and I ignored it. I don’t need any new reasons to feel bad about myself.

Then, another woman on the email list sent out a reply that she’d just gotten 27 out of 27 – a perfect score. For no good reason at all, this prompted me to go back and take the test. I either got 14 right or 14 wrong – whichever it was, it was nothing to be proud of.


Of course, the way I dealt with it was to belittle Miss 27’s accomplishments. This woman is perfect in every imaginable way and now I know she can also spell “judgment.” (Spellcheck just flagged that word for me. I always put in an extra E.) Big deal.

I had the same reaction as I had when I learned (in my last post) about Matter Eater Lad. Part of my issue with him as a Superhero is that “the ability to eat anything” does not seem heroic in any way. My son and his friends can (and do) eat anything and everything all the time and I don’t consider it a superpower. I consider it a shortcoming. But more to the point, it doesn’t even seem like a useful trait. “The ability to eat anything and never gain weight”… that’s a superpower worth mentioning.

After listening to my diatribe, my husband put some things in perspective. Matter Eater Lad, it seems, did use his superpower to help other members of the Legion of Superheroes escape from jail. I assume he ate through the bars, although my husband didn’t specify. That’s certainly a creative and altruistic use of his “talent.”

As for Miss 27, I suspect she competed in our town wide spelling bee years ago, and I imagine she was not eliminated on “embarrassment,” as I was. Beyond that, I’m not really sure what her ability buys her.

But who am I to judg.

Go on. Try for yourself:
25 Most Commonly Misspelled Words

No comments:

Post a Comment